Anime conventions around the world have transitioned to online platforms as a way to keep participants safe from COVID-19. The change has been a struggle, since the magic of conventions comes from participants meeting and visiting booths in-person. However, Cloud Matsuri takes a turn on the traditional anime convention and becomes the first completely virtual anime convention.
Here is Cloud Matsuri’s mission statement, according to their website:
Cloud Matsuri, whose name references the cloud database every electronic device backs-up data onto, hosted its first virtual convention on May 30th and 31st. The convention was completely free and was hosted through YouTube live stream. Attendees were able to virtually attend panels with Eunyoung Cho, the CEO and Executive Producer of Science SARU, Yasuhiro Kamimura, the CEO of GroundWorks Co., and many more! Many well-known anime companies, such as Crunchyroll and Atsuko, partnered with Cloud Matsuri to make sure the convention was a success.
With a new convention comes new problems. However, the Cloud Matsuri team has been transparent about what they believe went well and what they need to improve on. One of the staff members posted a list of how their team should improve the next Cloud Matsuri.
Lucky for us, the second Cloud Matsuri is on November 21st and 22nd! Participants can check out virtual shops and snag some freebies while attending more panels with new guests. Here’s a look at the two-day schedule according to Anime News Network. Times listed on the left are in GMT.
- 2 PM: “Pitch Your Poison” – Recommendations of anime by Shawne Kleckner, Laura Kate Dale and Miles Thomas (9 AM EST/6 AM PST)
- 3 PM: “U.K. Anime Showdown” – Anime quiz (10 AM EST/7 AM PST)
- 4 PM: All The Anime Industry Panel + LIVE Q&A. (11 AM EST/8 AM PST)
- 5 PM: Anime Cosplay panel. (12 AM EST/9 AM PST)
- 6 PM: Crunchyroll Originals Preview of Onyx Equinox, including footage originally aired on Virtual Crunchyroll Expo. (1 PM EST/10 AM PST)
- 8 PM: “Inside Cyber City Oedo 808” documentary featuring Jonathan Clements, Justin Sevakis, John Wolskel, Rory McFarlane, Andy Frain and Leah Holmes (3 PM EST/12 PM PST)
- 9 PM: Uzumaki Anime Work in Progress panel with Maki Terashima-Furuta and Hiroshi Nagahama. This is a preview of Adult Swim upcoming adaptation of Junji Ito’s horror manga. (4 PM EST/1 PM PST)
- 10 PM: “Dubs That Time Forgot: Cloud Matsuri Edition” with Mike Toole (5 PM EST/2 PM PST)
- 2PM: UK – Toonami’s impact on fandom in the UK with Gurinder Singh Grum and Leah Holmes. (9 AM EST/6 AM PST)
- 3 PM: Discussion of anime film coming to the UK theatrically in 2021, with Jonathan Clements and Kerry Kasim.- (10 AM EST/7 AM PST)
- 4 PM: J-Novel Club panel, which translates light novels, with live Q&A. (11 AM EST/8 AM PST)
- 5 PM: Discussion of Mobile Suit Gundam Seed with director Mitsuo Fukuda and assistant line producer Hiroomi Ikeya (12 PM EST/9 AM PST)
- 6 PM: Panel with anime statue company Figurama. (1 PM EST/10 AM PST)
- 7 PM: Crunchyroll Originals Preview featuring So I’m a Spider, So What? Comments from Okina Baba (author) and Tsukasa Kiryu (light novel illustrator) which first aired as part of MCM’s Metaverse. (2 PM EST/11 AM PST)
- 8 PM: Second AllTheAnime panel, with live Q&A (3 PM EST/12 PM PST)
- 9 PM: Revolutionary Girl Utena – Extended version of the interview with Kunihiko Ikuhara and Chiho Saitō, originally conducted in MCMs Metaverse. (4 PM EST/1 PM PST)
Gabriella is a 21-year-old writer and artist from Texas and currently goes to university in New York. Her favorite anime shows include Mob Psycho 100, The Disastrous Life of Saiki K, and Kill la Kill. In her free time, Gabriella likes to watch anime, read manga, and play the newest games on her Nintendo Switch.
Profile photo by ctr1zen